Saturday, December 25, 2010

a ground-ups x-mas...


Mary Christmas told me to tell you...

Ground-Ups began in like 1999, or something like that. Shane and I were really into Ruins around that time, but definitely not up to that kinda like trap-kit blitz or stamina. To make up for it, we like put that influence together with our own art drives, and decided to like both play the drums.

We like talked the whole thing up to Chris Clavin and soon he found a home in g-ups via one of his lost passions, the trumpet (and/or) cornet.
Shawn and I love the trumpet (and/or) cornet, and welcomed the new movement of the ground-up. I don’t know...I think Chris just really liked playing trumpet (and/or) cornet.
The initial material really related to life, if you were on a boat, or worked in a hotel, like Shane and I did at the time.

We had some other stuff, like a floor tom with some trash in it, and some spray paint, and Chris had a bunch of stuff like a dictionary, and we spray-painted that and the cape. We record our first show on a video camera, and that appears in these recordings. Sounds like bad, but good bad too.

The second round includes Shan Egg and I with Leah Yeppi highlighting the vocals, playing banjo, banging keys and effex, and engineering the shit in a strange way. Shane and I came up with “GT Frame You Fucking Suck” on the way to record, when we saw some guy walking down the street either riding or carrying a GT mountain bike frame. One of said, “GT frame you fucking suck.” He heard us. We made it into a tape called: “OH! It Bites Me!”

Part 3 is some live recording a few years later when it was just Eric Weddle and I for the large part, and Shim on and off. Er’s horn action (trumpet and sax) is blasted well thru a cut down ancient quad fender amp.

E.W. and I moved on to record studio type ground sounds with Nhoj Daswon at White Ark. Things, like purpose, never really materialized, so these recordings have since sat, been fondled, and end up here in whatever form available from thy hard drive. There is also a few live tracks recorded by someone in PG Six. I like the way those sound.

I wanted to put together a disc or something and title it “Knights of the Ground Table”. But didn’t. The actual recordings sound great rad, but I went in over the course of time and mixed them around and screwed up a lot of the goodness. And that’s fine.

Ground-ups TNG featured Justin Clifford Rhody on trumpet and Clare Hubbard on saxophone. These could of been, and possibly were the best of times...I think I was drinking too much though. Here’s a few tunes from that, and I know there is more out there, but...

These appear via friends and relatives records as a cassingle, split with Crotch Council.
Shane was back on these tunes, at least some of them, and sometimes I can’t tell if it’s both or not. Regardless, it’s def jcr and Clare.

We’re still doing it...whoever we are.
-jk 

No comments: