Sunday, December 19, 2010

Caked Up – the tasteful art of Kate Steffens

Kate is great. As is her whole damn family! Kate’s thing is cakes, and other sweets. She’s a pro at making them for both mouth and eye action...not eye action like you put the food in your eye, but rather the food is great to look at with your eye, then put in mouth.

Ms. Steffens folds in a variety of artistic direction. Among these, her application of musically motivated imagery seems to stand out most in my mind(s).
 Disraeli Gears gets the Straight Outta Chocolate treatment
From Fela Kuti to the Cure, she recreates album covers and other related imagery, and emblazons them onto this magic mouth/eye art. Powered with a mix of ingredients as eclectic as her influences, Kate makes great cake!

I’m not a fan of sweets...or at least I wasn’t before getting my mouth blown off by a few of these creations. I’ve since been lucky enough to happen upon her cakes and treats at openings and other events, and I’ve happily made the “I don’ t really like sweets, but...” exception, time after time.
Handpainted chocolate Cure cake
It’s a really fun visual and mouth attacking experience she puts on the table, so view more at her blog “Straight Outta Chocolate”, which is an absolutely amazing title. And you know how I feel about titles for things...or if you don’t, you will.

Trust me on the sweets, and if you’re into hearing some of the stars featured in her work, keep an eye out for her DJing efforts here locally (that means Los Angeles) as “Lady Kate”.

Rate Kate’s Cakes here:

No comments: