Monday, January 10, 2011

Danke Netflix


Obsession Alert! Right, so I’ve recently been playing the fuck out of these 3 sci-fi films produced by former DDR state sponsored DEFA studios...The Silent Star (1960), Eolomea (1972), and In The Dust of Stars (1976).

While none of these are news, as a box-set of all three was released a few years ago, the latter 2 were new finds for me, but I’d seen The Silent Star as a feature for destruction at the hands of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew years ago.

Watching it without prodding from the Joel Robinson and friends unveiled a strangely beautiful film, complete with special effects signature of the times. But what really struck me was the multi-ethnic leading cast and extremely relaxed egalitarian attitude put forth without much of any string tied to then East German polita-scape.

Breaking chronologically, In The Dust of Stars is a by far the wildest, mostest funnest one of the trio. It hits up (sometimes a bit overboard) many awesome elements I would want with 70’s Eastern Bloc in mind and more. Rad colors, exotic space dancing, space drugs, fashionably Abba-esque space explorers led by a female captain...

Last but not least is the beautifully fractured Eolomea. Fans of Solaris take note as this films contains many of the enigmatic lures that make that film so special...plus actual dialogue and some pretty psychadeli]]\\\ ic effects!


I’ve had neither the time nor inclination to attempt to make much sense of Eolomea. It being German doesn’t help, but that’s how I roll. I like things that don’t make any sense to me.

Top booot, the soundtracks and sound effects for all are really great, ranging from some dark orchestral work to wishful kraut-rock. I wanna dig up some info on those responsible (future plan).

If you gots Netflix (Yeay Netflix), go instant style. Perfect for falling asleep to.

No comments: